Captain Sunil James freed from Togo jail, on way back to India
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Indian sailor Captain Sunil James, who was arrested in July on charges of aiding pirates off the coast of Togo, was released in the wee hours of Thursday.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said James and another Indian sailor, Vijayan, have begun their journey back to India.
Captain James spent six months in jail in Togo.
Reacting to the development, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, "I am satisfied & happy, I am grateful to those who worked for his release."
The family of James also thanked the Prime Minister after shortly after getting the news of Captain James` release from Togo jail.
Earlier this month, the family members of Sunil James had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his intervention in getting the sailor released to conduct the last rites of his 11-month-old son who died of septicaemia in a hospital on December 2.
However, it not yet clear whether the charges levelled against James have been completely dropped. James had filed an application asking to be released on parole to conduct the last rites of his son.
Syed Akbaruddin said, "Securing Captain James release was really difficult. President of Togo intervened and ensured justice." Akbaruddin had on Wednesday said that India`s High Commissoner in Accra met with President Gnassingbe of Togo seeking early release of James and other Indian sailors.
James had stopped at Togo to report an attack on his ship MT Ocean Centurion by pirates when he was arrested July 31, along with two other crew members, for allegedly aiding the pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral