Carla Bruni to visit Safdarjung Hospital Monday
New Delhi: Taking her association with the cause of HIV-AIDS a step forward, French first lady Carla Bruni would visit Safdarjung Hospital here on Monday.
"The French President`s wife would be visiting the hospital. We are holding a meeting with the French delegation and it`s difficult to tell about details of the plan right now," the hospital`s medical superintendent MK Mohanty told a news agency on Saturday.
Bruni, also the goodwill ambassador of the Geneva-based Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria, will visit the Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) centre and the out-patients department (OPD) of the hospital to meet counsellors and HIV positive patients.
Hospital authorities may decide to keep the media out of the premises during her visit.
National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO), which forms policy and implements programmes for the prevention and control of HIV-AIDS in India, has been coordinating with the French embassy for the visit.
Bruni is also scheduled to visit the Naz Foundation-run home for HIV-positive children in East of Kailash in south Delhi.
"There are nearly 30 children in the home here. They are quite excited and have also made some special greeting cards for Bruni," Naz Foundation`s chief Anjali Gopalan told the agency.
On a four-day official visit to India, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni arrived at the Bangalore airport today.
His visit is aimed at expanding cooperation in defence, nuclear power, sustainable development and culture.
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?