Carter to focus on strengthening defence ties with
Washington: Strengthening defence ties with India would be the main focus of Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter, who arrived in New Delhi on a three-day visit to the country on Sunday, Pentagon officials here said on Monday.
Carter is the top Pentagon official to travel to India after the last month`s highly successful India visit of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Besides holding talks with his Indian counterparts and other top officials of the Defence Ministry, the Pentagon official is scheduled to meet Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon.
Later in the day he is scheduled to address a meeting of the Confederation of Indian Industry.
On Tuesday, Carter will fly to Hyderabad and attend a luncheon of industry representatives then tour defence joint ventures operated by Lockheed/Tata and Sikorsky/Tata before returning to New Delhi.
From India, Carter will travel to South Korea, the concluding stop on an Asian-Pacific tour that has already taken him to Hawaii, Guam, Japan and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster