Carter to focus on strengthening defence ties with
Washington: Strengthening defence ties with India would be the main focus of Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter, who arrived in New Delhi on a three-day visit to the country on Sunday, Pentagon officials here said on Monday.
Carter is the top Pentagon official to travel to India after the last month`s highly successful India visit of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Besides holding talks with his Indian counterparts and other top officials of the Defence Ministry, the Pentagon official is scheduled to meet Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon.
Later in the day he is scheduled to address a meeting of the Confederation of Indian Industry.
On Tuesday, Carter will fly to Hyderabad and attend a luncheon of industry representatives then tour defence joint ventures operated by Lockheed/Tata and Sikorsky/Tata before returning to New Delhi.
From India, Carter will travel to South Korea, the concluding stop on an Asian-Pacific tour that has already taken him to Hawaii, Guam, Japan and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened