Carter to focus on strengthening defence ties with
Washington: Strengthening defence ties with India would be the main focus of Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter, who arrived in New Delhi on a three-day visit to the country on Sunday, Pentagon officials here said on Monday.
Carter is the top Pentagon official to travel to India after the last month`s highly successful India visit of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Besides holding talks with his Indian counterparts and other top officials of the Defence Ministry, the Pentagon official is scheduled to meet Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon.
Later in the day he is scheduled to address a meeting of the Confederation of Indian Industry.
On Tuesday, Carter will fly to Hyderabad and attend a luncheon of industry representatives then tour defence joint ventures operated by Lockheed/Tata and Sikorsky/Tata before returning to New Delhi.
From India, Carter will travel to South Korea, the concluding stop on an Asian-Pacific tour that has already taken him to Hawaii, Guam, Japan and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Who's the boss? Rohit Dhawan vs Varun Dhawan in hand wrestling competition! Watch video
- Adani's Australia coal mine project faces another legal hurdle
- Youths struck by lightening: Cause of death not ascertained
- Anti-EU campaigner Nigel Farage urges `Brexit government`
- Action will be taken in South Sudan incident: UN peacekeeping chief