Case against Thomas was not shown in records before panel
New Delhi: The September 3 meeting of the
selection committee that chose P J Thomas as Central Vigilance
Commissioner did not have any document on record about the
corruption case pending against him in Kerala.
Copies of the proceedings of the meeting circulated to
media by RTI activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal today showed
that Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had
recorded her dissent.
"I disagree," she had written in her hand on the
decision to appoint Thomas which was also signed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister P Chidambaram, the
other members of the selection committee.
There was also nothing in the documents to show that
the issue of corruption case against Thomas was discussed in
The documents also contained the bio data of Thomas and
two other candidates -- Bijoy Chatterjee and S Krishnan -- who
were also senior bureaucrats but Thomas` bio data does not not
contain reference to the corruption case filed against him in
the Palmolein import case.
Yesterday, Attorney General G E Vahanvati had told the
Supreme Court that the materials pertaining to sanction for
prosecution of Thomas in a corruption case was not placed
before the selection committee. Thomas` bio-data also did not
reflect this fact, he had said.
Agarwal said the government should not have appointed
him to the post of CVC in the face of dissent from Swaraj. He
said in an earlier case of appointment of Central Information
Commissioner, the government dropped the appointment of a
candidate when the then Leader of Opposition L K Advani had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read