Case can`t be dismissed if delay in complaint is explained: SC
New Delhi: A criminal case cannot be dismissed merely because of delay in lodging a complaint if the delay has been reasonably explained, the Supreme Court said on Friday.
"The prosecution case cannot be rejected merely on the ground of delay since the complainant has reasonably explained the reasons for the delay," a bench of justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi said.
The bench made the observation while upholding the conviction and the life sentence given to two male and two female members of a Tamil Nadu-based Ashram (hermitage) for beating a woman member to death.
"All the circumstances have been clearly discussed by the trial court and it rightly convicted and awarded appropriate sentence. The high court, as an appellate court, once again marshaled all the materials leading to the death of the deceased and confirmed the same. We fully concur with the said conclusion. Consequently, the appeals fail and are accordingly dismissed," the bench said.
The murder had taken place on April 8, 2000 morning when the accused members of the Ashram had gathered together and had beaten the victim to death and later cremated her body.
Prosecution had said the woman was murdered as she had threatened to disclose the alleged love affair between two senior members of the Ashram, affiliated to Sri Devi Maha Sannathi Temple at Govardhan Garden in Trichy.
The complainant who had witnessed the beating and had also heard the victim`s cries for help had lodged a complaint with the police nine days after the crime had taken place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17