Case filed against unknown persons in train collision incident
Mathura: Police on Wednesday registered a case against "unknown persons" after it emerged that the Mewar Express had come to a sudden halt because the emergency chain was pulled, after which another train rammed into it, killing 22 people.
The case has been registered under sections 223 (escape from confinement negligently suffered by a public servant) and 224 (resistance or obstruction by a person to his lawful
apprehension) of the IPC, SSP (Mathura) B D Paulson told reporters.
Additional Superintendent of Police Kota, Bhupendra Sahu, refused to comment on whether an escape attempt by a criminal on the train led to the accident but added, "All the three officials involved in the incident have been suspended and an inquiry has been ordered."
The office of Senior Superintendent of Police, Mathura City, had earlier said it has received two separate complaints -- one relating to the train accident and the other being that of an accused escaping from custody of Rajasthan policemen.
It is alleged that Munna Sazid, an accused in a robbery case, was being taken from Kota in Rajasthan to the national capital in Delhi-bound Mewar Express for a hearing in the Tees Hazari court.
He was being accompanied by three police constables of Rajasthan Police -- Ashok Kumar, Veerendra and Bahadur. At the Mathura station, Sazid asked for permission to go to toilet.
As soon as the train started gaining speed, he pushed one of the constables and jumped from the train prompting the police officials to pull the chain to bring it to halt,
according to the complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state