Case of sexual harassment against SC judge an aberration: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam Tuesday termed as an "aberration" the allegation of sexual harassment against his former colleague by an intern and assured the nation that justice will be done in "all respect".
"During my short stint, an incident of alleged aberration has come to light through media reports. On the very same day, I constituted a three-member Committee to look into it. I assure everyone that justice will be done in all respect," the CJI said.
Addressing lawyers on the Law Day function in the Supreme Court lawn, Justice Sathasivam asked the media to "sensitively" deal with sensitive issues that may cause irreparable damage to the institution like judiciary.
"My humble request is that any casual carefree remark which may have the tendency of causing irreparable damage to the Institution may be delicately considered before reporting as it may have the impact not only at the national level but also internationally.
"Reporting may be done considering the Institution and not the individual by balancing equities. Every sensitive matter, therefore, needs to be dealt with more sensitivity, lest it should cause irreparable harm and has the tendency of not putting the clock back," he said.
He also expressed concern over the backlog of pending cases and said that the efforts have borne fruits as "the pendency of 69,446 (cases) at the end of June has been reduced to 65,893 by the end of October in the Supreme Court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected
- Wow! UP govt to set up theme park on K Asif's magnum opus ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ in Etawah
- India 'A' leads table with 11 points despite match with South Africa 'A' being abandoned due to rain
- Sakshi Malik's felicitation ceremony: Fans disappointed, as Netas hog limelight, wrestler doesn't get to speak
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017