Case of sexual harassment against SC judge an aberration: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam Tuesday termed as an "aberration" the allegation of sexual harassment against his former colleague by an intern and assured the nation that justice will be done in "all respect".
"During my short stint, an incident of alleged aberration has come to light through media reports. On the very same day, I constituted a three-member Committee to look into it. I assure everyone that justice will be done in all respect," the CJI said.
Addressing lawyers on the Law Day function in the Supreme Court lawn, Justice Sathasivam asked the media to "sensitively" deal with sensitive issues that may cause irreparable damage to the institution like judiciary.
"My humble request is that any casual carefree remark which may have the tendency of causing irreparable damage to the Institution may be delicately considered before reporting as it may have the impact not only at the national level but also internationally.
"Reporting may be done considering the Institution and not the individual by balancing equities. Every sensitive matter, therefore, needs to be dealt with more sensitivity, lest it should cause irreparable harm and has the tendency of not putting the clock back," he said.
He also expressed concern over the backlog of pending cases and said that the efforts have borne fruits as "the pendency of 69,446 (cases) at the end of June has been reduced to 65,893 by the end of October in the Supreme Court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city