Case registered against anti-Modi protesters in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi police on Friday registered a case under sections of the Indian Penal Code and under the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, 1984, against some of those who protested against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s Wednesday visit to Delhi University`s Shri Ram College of Commerce.
A newspaper reported that the First Information Report registered at the Mourice Nagar police station says that while raising slogans, and holding placards and banners, around 100-odd people suddenly came out from the Arts Faculty around 3 pm and broke the first barricade.
The FIR adds that the protesters then beat up the cops when being stopped. The group then reached the second barricade near gate number 3 of SRCC. Ignoring repeated warnings by the Station House Officer, the protesters climbed the second barricade as well and tried to break it, noted the daily.
The police resorted to water cannons to disperse the crowd, fearing a clash between the protesters and the supporters of the Gujarat CM. However, the FIR says, protesters came to blows with police, injuring several policemen.
The case has been registered under Sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 149 (every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object), 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the Indian Penal Code, said the daily.
Around 600 policemen, some of them in riot gear, had tried to bring the situation under control on Wednesday.
Angry students shouted, "Modi go back!" Posters held up by protestors read: "Expose Modi!"
Shri Ram College of Commerce is the alma mater of many leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), including Arun Jaitley, Vijay Goel, Jagdish Mukhi and Vijay Jolly.
Modi`s talk at the college was about "Emerging business models in the global scenario".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow