Case registered against anti-Modi protesters in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi police on Friday registered a case under sections of the Indian Penal Code and under the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, 1984, against some of those who protested against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s Wednesday visit to Delhi University`s Shri Ram College of Commerce.
A newspaper reported that the First Information Report registered at the Mourice Nagar police station says that while raising slogans, and holding placards and banners, around 100-odd people suddenly came out from the Arts Faculty around 3 pm and broke the first barricade.
The FIR adds that the protesters then beat up the cops when being stopped. The group then reached the second barricade near gate number 3 of SRCC. Ignoring repeated warnings by the Station House Officer, the protesters climbed the second barricade as well and tried to break it, noted the daily.
The police resorted to water cannons to disperse the crowd, fearing a clash between the protesters and the supporters of the Gujarat CM. However, the FIR says, protesters came to blows with police, injuring several policemen.
The case has been registered under Sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 149 (every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object), 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the Indian Penal Code, said the daily.
Around 600 policemen, some of them in riot gear, had tried to bring the situation under control on Wednesday.
Angry students shouted, "Modi go back!" Posters held up by protestors read: "Expose Modi!"
Shri Ram College of Commerce is the alma mater of many leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), including Arun Jaitley, Vijay Goel, Jagdish Mukhi and Vijay Jolly.
Modi`s talk at the college was about "Emerging business models in the global scenario".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights