Case to be filed on fishermen` death: Home Secy
New Delhi: Concerned over killing of two
fishermen in firing by the security guards of an Italian ship,
the government on Thursday said a case will be registered against
the people responsible for the shooting and they will have to
face Indian law.
"Case will be registered against the people responsible
for the firing and the law will take its own course," Union
Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
He was replying to a question on what action will be
taken on the killing of two fishermen in firing by security
guards of an Italian ship off the Kerala coast, suspecting
them to be pirates.
Official sources said the Kerala government as well as
the Indian Coast Guard have informed the Home Ministry that
the merchant vessel `Enrica Lexie` was in Indian territorial
waters when the incident took place and the security guards of
the vessel had no authority to carry or use arms.
The Centre has taken the issue very seriously and is in
regular touch with the Kerala government, they said.
The state government has conveyed to the Centre that
after registration of the case, the people responsible for the
firing will be arrested, they said. After their arrest, the
foreigners may be allowed to have consular access, they said.
"They have to face Indian law," a source said.
With regard to the merchant ship, the local authorities
will see the relevant law and action will be taken
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!