Case to be filed on fishermen` death: Home Secy
New Delhi: Concerned over killing of two
fishermen in firing by the security guards of an Italian ship,
the government on Thursday said a case will be registered against
the people responsible for the shooting and they will have to
face Indian law.
"Case will be registered against the people responsible
for the firing and the law will take its own course," Union
Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
He was replying to a question on what action will be
taken on the killing of two fishermen in firing by security
guards of an Italian ship off the Kerala coast, suspecting
them to be pirates.
Official sources said the Kerala government as well as
the Indian Coast Guard have informed the Home Ministry that
the merchant vessel `Enrica Lexie` was in Indian territorial
waters when the incident took place and the security guards of
the vessel had no authority to carry or use arms.
The Centre has taken the issue very seriously and is in
regular touch with the Kerala government, they said.
The state government has conveyed to the Centre that
after registration of the case, the people responsible for the
firing will be arrested, they said. After their arrest, the
foreigners may be allowed to have consular access, they said.
"They have to face Indian law," a source said.
With regard to the merchant ship, the local authorities
will see the relevant law and action will be taken
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation