Cash-for-query: Speaker`s nod to prosecute Cong MP
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has granted sanction to prosecute Congress MP Raja Ram Pal in the cash-for-query scam that rocked Parliament five years ago.
The Crime Branch of Delhi Police had sent its request for sanction to prosecute Pal in July 2009, soon after the present Lok Sabha was constituted as the offence was committed during the term of the previous Lok Sabha.
In 2005, the Ethics Committee, which was asked to look into the matter, held 11 MPs guilty. The MPs were expelled from the Lok Sabha by then Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. Pal, who was a BSP MP in the previous Lok Sabha was among those expelled but he managed to win the 2009 General Elections from Akbarpur in UP on the Congress ticket.
While a new Lok Sabha membership would have set the issue at rest, a High Court order for investigation into the scam led to a criminal case. The Delhi Police filed a charge sheet in June 2009 against 13 persons, including 10 former MPs.
None of the accused MPs was able to return to the Lok Sabha except Pal. This made it mandatory for the police to seek Parliament`s nod to file a charge sheet against the MP.
Kumar had sought the opinion of Attorney General G E Vahanvati as to whether the Speaker can be the competent authority to sanction prosecution against Pal. The Speaker also consulted legal experts like Fali Nariman and others on the issue.
The Attorney General had also said it was the Speaker`s prerogative to decide on whether a charge sheet should be filed against Pal. "The Speaker has granted sanction after consulting legal experts," Lok Sabha Secretariat sources said on Monday.
`Operation Duryodhan`, an expose by a private news channel in 2005, showed MPs on camera accepting money to ask questions in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door