Cash-for-vote: Advani dares govt to jail him
New Delhi: In a dramatic move, senior BJP leader LK Advani, Thursday, in the Lok Sabha dared the government to arrest him in the 2008 cash-for-votes scam.
Speaking in the Lok Sabha, BJP Parliamentary Party chief LK Advani said if the two BJP MPs are guilty in the cash-for-votes scam, then he should also meet the same fate and be arrested.
BJP MPs Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Singh Bhagora along with former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh were on Tuesday arrested in the case.
"Whatever was done was done as per Constitutional norms. If anything was wrong I would have stopped them," said Advani, who is also working chairman of NDA.
Raising the issue on the last day of the tumultuous Monsoon session of Parliament, Advani insisted that it was evident during the Confidence Vote that the government was "trying to purchase votes".
"They were whistle-blowers who honestly reported the matter in the House. They presented the money. That time I was the Leader of the Opposition and I know the facts.”
"I believe that these two members have done a great service to democracy by bringing in Parliament the Rs one crore given to them," he said during Zero Hour.
He lamented that those who voted for the government "through dishonesty" by taking money are sitting here comfortably, "but my two friends who honestly served the country are in jail."
BJP leader LK Advani`s former aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, who has also been chargesheeted in the case, has been ordered to be brought in court on September 19.
The Crime Branch of Delhi Police, in its chargesheet, had indicted all the six accused for their roles in the scam, involving payment of bribes to some MPs to win their votes in a trust motion for the Congress-led UPA government.
Advani had given a notice for suspension of Question Hour in the Lok Sabha to discuss the new developments in the case.
A similar notice was given in the Rajya Sabha by BJP member Ravi Shankar Prasad.
When the Lok Sabha met for the day, Speaker Meira Kumar read out a statement on Literacy Day and its significance and then took up the Question Hour.
But Advani stood up and raised his hand for permission to speak. When the Chair did not allow him, other BJP members, along with NDA ally JD-U, protested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands