Cash-for-vote: BJP leader alleges police bungling
New Delhi: Delhi police has "deliberately
omitted" parts of the video tapes of sting operation into the
2008 cash-for-vote scam case, two accused former BJP MPs
alleged before a court here on Friday.
"The paramount material and their (prosecution`s)
`bramhastra` is the tapes. There is deliberate omission on
part of the prosecution (in omitting it). After the money was
put on the table there are interviews by the media which are
"The person conducting the sting operation said (in his
statement) that money was put on table and after that he did
some interviews and his piece to camera. Where is that
(footage)?," Counsel appearing for Faggan Singh Kulaste and
Mahabir Singh Bhagora said before the Special Judge Sangita
Dhingra Sehgal while seeking bail in the case.
Senior advocate Siddharth Luthra appearing for the two
former BJP MPs said that the camera person had also confirmed
about the interviews in his statement.
"The camera person also tells the same thing. We are
living in an era of digital format. In the process of editing
it (the final outcome) can be in form of seamless recording.
"Do they have the original tapes and if yes why have they
not placed it before the court?" Luthra asked.
While seeking bail in the case the counsel for the duo
said that this is one of the rare cases in which facts of
the case is not in dispute but "colouring of the facts" is in
Luthra said that it is a fact that his clients met on the
eve of the trust vote but that they were hatching a conspiracy
a baseless presumption.
It also said that if his clients are made accused for not
informing the police or other agencies about the bribe before
exposing the crime then the private channel which conducted
the sting operation should also be made an accused which not
only refrained from informing the agency but also did not
broadcast the video.
"The reluctance or desire of the private channel to sit
over the video (of sting operation) cannot be attributed to my
clients," the advocate said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!