Cash-for-vote: BJP MP spared personal appearance
New Delhi: In a respite to BJP MP Ashok
Argal, the Delhi High Court today exempted him from
appearing personally on November 3 before a special court in
the 2008 cash-for-vote case.
Justice M L Mehta granted the relief to Argal while
hearing his anticipatory bail plea, on which the high court
bench issued notice to police, seeking its reply by November
14, the next date of hearing of the the bail pleas of other
Appearing for Argal, advocate Sandeep Sethi pleaded for
his exemption from appearance before Special Judge Sangita
Dhingra Sehgal trying the cash-for-vote case.
"Argal should be exempted from personal appearance on
November 3 as this very court will hear the bail pleas of all
others accused on November 14," Sethi pleaded.
"My client being the complainant in the case should not
be dragged in the case and he is entitled for bail as his name
surfaced only in the second charge sheet," he contended.
The trial court had summoned Argal on October 14 for
November 3 after police named him as an accused in its
supplementary charge sheet filed on October 3.
Others being prosecuted in the case include Rajya
Sabha MP Amar Singh and senior BJP leader L K Advani`s former
aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, besides two former BJP MPs Faggan
Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh Bhagora. Amar Singh is on bail
on health grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1