Cash-for-vote: BJP MP spared personal appearance
New Delhi: In a respite to BJP MP Ashok
Argal, the Delhi High Court today exempted him from
appearing personally on November 3 before a special court in
the 2008 cash-for-vote case.
Justice M L Mehta granted the relief to Argal while
hearing his anticipatory bail plea, on which the high court
bench issued notice to police, seeking its reply by November
14, the next date of hearing of the the bail pleas of other
Appearing for Argal, advocate Sandeep Sethi pleaded for
his exemption from appearance before Special Judge Sangita
Dhingra Sehgal trying the cash-for-vote case.
"Argal should be exempted from personal appearance on
November 3 as this very court will hear the bail pleas of all
others accused on November 14," Sethi pleaded.
"My client being the complainant in the case should not
be dragged in the case and he is entitled for bail as his name
surfaced only in the second charge sheet," he contended.
The trial court had summoned Argal on October 14 for
November 3 after police named him as an accused in its
supplementary charge sheet filed on October 3.
Others being prosecuted in the case include Rajya
Sabha MP Amar Singh and senior BJP leader L K Advani`s former
aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, besides two former BJP MPs Faggan
Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh Bhagora. Amar Singh is on bail
on health grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video