Cash-for-vote case: Amar Singh`s aide denied bail
New Delhi: Sanjeev Saxena, an accused in
2008 cash-for-vote scam, was on Wednesday refused bail by a Delhi
court which said he had "links" with co-accused and Rajya
Sabha MP Amar Singh and played the role of a facilitator in
"From the material available on record, it prima facie
appears that the accused (Saxena) had links with Amar Singh
and there is grave suspicion that he played a role of a
facilitator," Special Judge Sangita Dhingra Sehgal said.
Saxena, a former aide of Amar Singh, is in Tihar Jail
under judicial custody following his arrest on July 17 in the
The court dismissed the bail plea taking into account
that the MPs were allegedly bribed in this case to subvert the
constitutional and parliamentary norms.
"The incident dated July 22, 2008, when currency notes of
Rs one crore were laid on the table of the Lok Sabha alleging
that the MPs had been bribed to subvert the constitutional and
"Keeping in view the nature and gravity of the case in
which the present application for grant of regular bail has
been moved, I do not deem it fit to grant bail to the
accused," the judge said.
Saxena had, in the bail plea filed on August 5, said he
was arrested on false allegations. He had denied he ever
worked for Amar Singh as his personal secretary as alleged by
Saxena had said he came in touch with co-accused and
alleged BJP worker Sohail Hindustani who took him to the party
headquarters and the in-charge had handed over two bags to
Sohail who in turn handed over one bag to him to give it to
Ashok Argal, a BJP MP.
As soon as he realised that a conspiracy was hatched by
BJP and BSP to destabilize the then UPA-I government and to
malign Congress leader Ahmed Patel and Amar Singh, he
forwarded an apology for his role by writing to both of them,
Saxena had said in his bail plea.
His counsel had submitted Saxena was not a part of any
conspiracy as there was no meeting of minds at any stage
among him and the other accused in the case.
Public Prosecutor Rajeev Mohan had vehemently opposed his
bail plea saying Saxena became a part of existing conspiracy
by delivering Rs one crore to then BJP MPs Ashok Argal, Faggan
Singh Kulaste and Mahabir Singh Bhagora.
Saxena has been booked for the charges of criminal
conspiracy and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical