Cash-for-vote `heroes` should have been given Padma awards: Venkaiah
Panaji: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders and parliamentarians either booked or arrested in the cash-for-votes scam should have been decorated with awards instead, a senior BJP leader said on Friday.
Speaking to reporters in Panaji, ahead of LK Advani`s yatra in Goa, former party president M Venkaiah Naidu said that instead of targeting the beneficiaries, the Congress was using government machinery to go after the whistleblowers.
"They should have been given Padma awards for exposing such a fraud, where the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) used bribery to save its government," said Naidu, who was in Goa to oversee preparations for the yatra reaching Goa Nov 1.
Sudheendra Kulkarni, a former aide of Advani, was arrested for orchestrating the 2008 scam, in which three BJP MPs claimed they had been bribed to vote in favour of the Congress on the Indo-US nuke deal.
"Our MPs should have been congratulated for bringing their money to Parliament and exposing corruption," Naidu said. "Instead, they were told they had brought shame on Parliament."
Naidu added that the Delhi Police was being arm-twisted by the Congress to target the opposition.
On July 22, 2008, then BJP MPs Faggan Singh Kulaste, Mahavir Bhagora and Ashok Argal waved wads of currency notes in the Lok Sabha ahead of a trust vote, alleging they were given the money to vote in favour of the Manmohan Singh government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha
- New research identifies role of mood in making decisions
- Teachers tend to favour middle-class students: Study
- 'The Ring' co-star Anushka Sharma beats Shah Rukh Khan in 'Prague'! – Know how
- Indonesian church attacker ''obsessed'' with Islamic State leader: Senior minister