Cash-for-vote: Kulkarni fails to appear in court
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader L K Advani`s
former aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, summoned by a Delhi court for
his alleged role in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam on Monday failed
to appear before it and pleaded that he be exempted from
personal appearance for the day.
Submitting an application for exemption from personal
appearance to the court of Special Judge Sangeeta Dhingra
Sehgal, Kulkarni`s counsel told her that his client was yet to
return from the US.
On the counsel`s submission, the judge pointed out to him
that earlier on September 6, while making the plea for
exemption from personal appearance, he had given an
undertaking that he would appear before the court on the next
"He (Kulkarni) was supposed to come (to the court) today.
You (Kulkarni`s lawyer) had given an undertaking on the last
date," the judge said.
The defence counsel responded to the court`s observation
saying Kulkarni had not appeared today due to "some problem".
Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan contended that the
application for personal exemption on behalf of Kulkarni was
without any supporting documents. He said the court could
issue warrant against him for his failure to appear before it
At this stage, Kulkarni`s lawyer submitted that his
client would appear before the judge after October 2.
The court is expected to decide on the application for
personal exemption during the course of the proceedings.
Meanwhile, during the arguments, co-accused Suhail
Hindustani collapsed in the courtroom. He was moved out of the
courtroom by security personnel and was attended to by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!