Cash-for-vote: Kulkarni fails to appear in court
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader L K Advani`s
former aide Sudheendra Kulkarni, summoned by a Delhi court for
his alleged role in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam on Monday failed
to appear before it and pleaded that he be exempted from
personal appearance for the day.
Submitting an application for exemption from personal
appearance to the court of Special Judge Sangeeta Dhingra
Sehgal, Kulkarni`s counsel told her that his client was yet to
return from the US.
On the counsel`s submission, the judge pointed out to him
that earlier on September 6, while making the plea for
exemption from personal appearance, he had given an
undertaking that he would appear before the court on the next
"He (Kulkarni) was supposed to come (to the court) today.
You (Kulkarni`s lawyer) had given an undertaking on the last
date," the judge said.
The defence counsel responded to the court`s observation
saying Kulkarni had not appeared today due to "some problem".
Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan contended that the
application for personal exemption on behalf of Kulkarni was
without any supporting documents. He said the court could
issue warrant against him for his failure to appear before it
At this stage, Kulkarni`s lawyer submitted that his
client would appear before the judge after October 2.
The court is expected to decide on the application for
personal exemption during the course of the proceedings.
Meanwhile, during the arguments, co-accused Suhail
Hindustani collapsed in the courtroom. He was moved out of the
courtroom by security personnel and was attended to by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP