Cash-for-votes scam: LS, RS adjourned
New Delhi: The cash-for-vote scam rocked both Houses of Parliament on Thursday with BJP objecting to the arrest of two of its "whistleblower" former MPs and demanding suspension of Question Hour to discuss the issue.
BJP Parliamentary Party chief LK Advani had given a notice for suspension of Question Hour in the Lok Sabha to discuss the new developments in the case.
A similar notice was given in the Rajya Sabha by BJP member Ravi Shankar Prasad.
When the Lok Sabha met for the day, Speaker Meira Kumar read out a statement on Literacy Day and its significance and then took up the Question Hour.
But, Advani stood up and raised his hand for permission to speak. When the Chair did not allow him, other BJP members, along with NDA ally JD-U, protested.
In the din, Advani said two of his former MPs – Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Singh Bhagora - have been sent to jail though they were whistleblowers in the scam.
Members from the Treasury Benches were on their feet demanding that Question Hour be held. The Speaker also said that since today was the last day of the session, the Question Hour should be held.
However, when the opposition did not relent, she adjourned the House till noon.
When the Rajya Sabha met for the day, Prasad said he has given a notice for suspension of Question Hour. He was backed by other party colleagues.
As Chairman Hamid Ansari ruled that it was Question Hour and took up the first listed question, BJP members started raising slogans against the government.
Soon, some Congress members rushed into the well demanding that Question Hour be taken up.
Ansari then adjourned the House till 12:30 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race