Cash seizure: Prez`s son blames communication gap
Amravati: President Pratibha Patil`s son
and Congress MLA Raosaheb Shekhawat on Tuesday said the "communication gap" between him and the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) led to the seizure of Rs 1 crore in
cash by the local police ahead of the civic polls on February
"There was a communication gap and MPCC could not
inform me how and when the fund was dispatched and I came to
know only when the Amravati Police seized the vehicle and
recovered cash to the tune of Rs one crore.
I got a call from the person bringing cash to Amravati
when police detained him. After the seizure, I contacted MPCC
office who then quickly faxed detailed statements of
disbursement to Amravati Police," Shekhawat told reporters
after recording his statement before the Commissioner of
Police Amitesh Kumar.
"I told police that Rs 1 crore was meant for
disbursement among 87 Congress nominees in proportion of Rs
one lakh each for municipal polls and remaining Rs 13 lakh was
supposed to be spent by the Amravati District Congress
Committee for meeting the expenses and making advance
payments. The entire fund was sent by MPCC through its general
secretary advocate Ganesh Patil," Shekhawat said.
We submitted original papers to police for
verification and we also told them about the sequence of
events, Shekhawat`s lawyer Wasim Ahmead Mirza said.
The City Police had asked Shekhawat besides others to
record his statement following the direction by a local court
in this regard after seizure of the cash.
"Our explanation was satisfactory and we have placed
facts before police," Mirza said.
He, however, evaded a direct reply to a query on how
the cash landed in the seized vehicle belonging to a private
businessman from Nagpur Satyanarayan Agarwal.
Mirza also could not explain about the role of a
personal staff of the Minister of State for Water Resources
Rajendra Mulak in transportation of cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray