Cash seizure: Prez`s son blames communication gap
Amravati: President Pratibha Patil`s son
and Congress MLA Raosaheb Shekhawat on Tuesday said the "communication gap" between him and the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) led to the seizure of Rs 1 crore in
cash by the local police ahead of the civic polls on February
"There was a communication gap and MPCC could not
inform me how and when the fund was dispatched and I came to
know only when the Amravati Police seized the vehicle and
recovered cash to the tune of Rs one crore.
I got a call from the person bringing cash to Amravati
when police detained him. After the seizure, I contacted MPCC
office who then quickly faxed detailed statements of
disbursement to Amravati Police," Shekhawat told reporters
after recording his statement before the Commissioner of
Police Amitesh Kumar.
"I told police that Rs 1 crore was meant for
disbursement among 87 Congress nominees in proportion of Rs
one lakh each for municipal polls and remaining Rs 13 lakh was
supposed to be spent by the Amravati District Congress
Committee for meeting the expenses and making advance
payments. The entire fund was sent by MPCC through its general
secretary advocate Ganesh Patil," Shekhawat said.
We submitted original papers to police for
verification and we also told them about the sequence of
events, Shekhawat`s lawyer Wasim Ahmead Mirza said.
The City Police had asked Shekhawat besides others to
record his statement following the direction by a local court
in this regard after seizure of the cash.
"Our explanation was satisfactory and we have placed
facts before police," Mirza said.
He, however, evaded a direct reply to a query on how
the cash landed in the seized vehicle belonging to a private
businessman from Nagpur Satyanarayan Agarwal.
Mirza also could not explain about the role of a
personal staff of the Minister of State for Water Resources
Rajendra Mulak in transportation of cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India