`Cash transfer scheme answer to corrupt delivery agents`
New Delhi: Rejecting the "notion" that the direct cash transfer scheme would abdicate government`s commitment to welfare state, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Thursday said it is an answer to the "incompetent Army of corrupt delivery agents".
Ramesh also termed as "ludicrous and bogus" Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal`s argument that this programme is a "bribe giving" one.
"We are not abdicating principles of welfare state. We are just saying that instruments of the welfare state, which are subsidy, scholarships or pensions are better delivered through this system. I fail to see how an army of intermediaries corrupt at every level can stand for a welfare state," he said addressing an international workshop on direct cash transfers here.
"Having the notion that Army of delivery agents and we can have plethora of delivery systems all of whom have proven their incompetence and their insensitivity. But somehow they are seem to be symbols of welfare state," Ramesh said, referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi`s observation that 85 percent of money released from Delhi never reached the beneficiaries.
Referring to Kejriwal`s allegation that this programme is a "bribe giving" one, the Minister said he found it "very odd" and "benefit transfer is not a gift we are giving”.
"It is an entitlement that we are acknowledging and I fail to see how the delivery of an entitlement whether the scholarship or pension or subsidy can be construed as a bribe. I think the bribe argument is ludicrous and bogus argument," he said.
"In fact it is to make the welfare state more efficient that you are going to the direct benefit transfer," he added.
The ambitious direct cash transfer scheme will be officially launched from January one next year. The programme covering 29 welfare schemes initially will be experimented in 51 districts across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon