Caste census between June and September in 2011
New Delhi: The Caste Census would be
carried out by the government between June and September next
year, Home Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday.
"It was decided that Caste will be canvassed through a
separate house-to-house survey between June and September,
2011," Chidambaram told reporters at his monthly press meet
Bowing to demands by several political parties,
government had last month decided to carry out a separate
caste census next year.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had told the Lok
Sabha recently that all political parties had supported the
idea of including caste in census and there was no need for
any "apprehensions" over the issue.
His statement had come after leaders of BJP, JD(U),
BSP and Samajwadi Party wanted to know as to what happened to
the government`s promise to carry out a caste census.
The Group of Ministers, which examined the issue, had
decided that caste census should be carried out during house
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre