CAT directs uniform retirement age for UGC scientists
New Delhi: In a decision that will
bring cheer to research scientists in state universities, the
Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) has directed the UGC to
fix their retirement age at 65 years - on par with their
counterparts in Central universities.
Presently, there is lot of disillusionment and
heartburn among the scientists in State universities as the
superannuation age is fixed differently between 58 and 60
years, unlike for those in Central varsities who retire at 65.
"The policy decision of the University Grants
Commission where applicants` request for treating their age of
retirement at par with central universities being turned down
cannot be countenanced in law," the Tribunal bench, comprising
Members Veena Chhotray and Shanker Raju, said in a judgement.
The Tribunal rapped the UGC for its discriminatory
policy which, according to it, was violative of Article 14
(equality provision) of the Constitution.
"A hostile discrimination only on the ground of being
placed at a particular university has also no reasonable nexus
with the object sought to be achieved," it said.
The Tribunal passed the order on a bunch of petitions
of UGC research scientists and two other applicants seeking
parity in the age of retirement with their counterparts in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof