CAT rejects scrapping of appointment procedure of UPSC
New Delhi: The Central Administrative
Tribunal has refused to scrap the appointment procedure by the
UPSC for the post of Deputy Director in the Employees State
Insurance Corporation (ESIC) on the ground that the
advertisement issued by it for the job was vague.
Although, the Tribunal accepted the advertisement was
vague it said there is no such legal flaw which required
The Tribunal passed the order on a bunch of petitions
filed by aspirants Aushtosh Giri and others on the ground
that eligibility criteria that a person must have about five
years of experience in a responsible capacity was vague.
"Even though, about five years experience in a
responsible capacity is absolutely vague and it has resulted
into thousands of people making applications, but there is no
such legal flaw which may result in setting aside the
advertisement," the Tribunal headed by its Chairman V K Bali
The Tribunal agreed with the UPSC`s contention that
only those candidates would make it to the interview who will
satisfy the subsequent shortlisting criteria for the post.
"No doubt, because of uncertain and vague eligibility
criteria provided in the advertisement, thousands of
candidates may have been attracted to seek appointment on the
post, but in the ultimate analysis they would be called for
interview as per the criteria adopted for short listing," the
Tribunal, also comprising Vice Chairman L K Joshi, said.
The criteria for shortlisting was not vague or
unreasonable, the Tribunal said.
Dispelling the fear among petitioners, the Tribunal said
the petitioners would ultimately compete only with those who
answer the shortlisting criteria and would not be prejudiced
in any manner.
"We do not find any merit in the plea raised by the
petitioners that their chances of selection because of the
number of people applying would be reduced," it said.
"Even though it may be desirable that such criteria
should be provided in the advertisement itself so that those
who may stand no chance whatsoever may not be unnecessarily
bothered, the lack of that in the advertisment and later
making the criteria definite cannot result in annulling
advertisement as such," the Tribunal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA