Cauvery final award notified, TN celebrates, protests in Karnataka
Chennai/Bangalore: The Centre on Wednesday notifed the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal ending a six-year-long wait triggering celebrations in Tamil Nadu and protests in Karnataka.
"This is the best birthday present that I could ever had in my life.," said an elated Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa, who will turn 65 on February 24.
But her Karnataka counterpart Jagadish Shettar asked the Centre not to constitute the Cauvery Management Board till the disposal of civil appeals filed by the State in Supreme Court
Terming the notification as a "great victory for me and my government", particularly the delta farmers, Jayalalithaa said, "since the final award has been notified, it becomes binding on Karnataka" to release water.
"....Hereafter Karnataka cannot refuse to obey the order of the tribunal", the AIADMK supremo said, adding, Tamil Nadu was "literally at the mercy of Karnataka all these years."
Noting that the notification marks the culmination of a 22-year-long struggle, Jayalalithaa, hoped that Tamil Nadu would receive its due share and when there was distress "we will abide by the directions given in the final order, final award of the Tribunal as to how distress should be shared."
Farmers in delta region welcomed the notification with bursting of crackers. DMK chief M Karunanidhi and other leaders also hailed the Centre`s action.
The notification, however, sparked protests in Karnataka with members of Kannada outfit, Karnataka Rakshana Vedike, staging demonstrations in Mysore, Mandya and Bangalore.
Shettar said there is no law to say that the Board has to be constituted.
"It (clearance for the proposed Board) has to come before Parliament, and there has to be discussions. Under law, there is room for amendment," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone