Cauvery row: TN files contempt plea against Karnataka
Chennai/New Delhi: The row over the sharing of Cauvery water is set to escalate further after the Tamil Nadu government filed a contempt petition against Karnataka government in the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
The Jayalalithaa government decided to file a contempt petition “immediately” after the Karnataka government stopped the release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu. The Jayalalithaa government said Karnataka’s action amounted to impeding country’s federal structure.
The TN government has termed the unilateral decision by the Karnataka government to as dishonour of the Supreme Court verdict and said the petition is aimed to ensure that Tamil Nadu gets its due share of water.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi has, meanwhile, asked the Prime Minister to invoke Article 356 and impose Governor’s rule in the BJP-ruled Karnataka.
Karnataka had on Monday night stopped release of water from the Krishna Raja Sagar Dam citing low storage in the reservoir; hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made it clear that only the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) can review its order directing the state to release 9,000 cusecs to Tamil Nadu.
The apex court had earlier endorsed the CRA ruling asking the upper riparian state to release 9000 cusecs from September 20-October 15, a decision contested by both states, locked in the decades-long Cauvery dispute.
Karnataka has been requesting the CRA to stay its 19 September order asking the state to release 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu daily till 15 October and keep it in abeyance till the decision was subjected to review.
The Cauvery Monitoring Committee is expected to meet in Delhi on October 11 during which the reports of the two central study teams that visited both the states are likely to be debated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram