`Cauvery water issue deprived TN of Rs 500 cr hydel project`
Coimbatore: The vexed Cauvery water issue has "deprived" Tamil Nadu of a Rs 500 crore hydel project in Nilgiris district as the Centre had refused to give clearance, claiming riparian states may object to using water from the river.
The state government had prepared the project to generate 600 MW from pumping water from Kunda river, a sub tributary of the Cauvery, and requested for Central clearance as any project of over Rs 500 crore required the Centre`s nod, but the Union government refused to do so, state electricity minister Natham R Vishwanathan said here on Saturday.
He was speaking at the local chapter of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry on power projects in Tamil Nadu and Solar power Policy 2012.
The Centre contended that the project required clearance from Karnataka as water used to generate power originated from Cauvery and other riparian states would also object to it, Vishwanathan said.
As Karnataka may not provide the necessary no objection certificate, the Tamil Nadu government cut down the project cost to Rs 478 crore and made the plant operational, he said, adding that the plant is now generating 125 MW of power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?