CBI approaches SC for removing Vivek Dutt from coalgate probe team
New Delhi: CBI on Tuesday approached the Supreme Court seeking permission to remove its Superintendent of Police Vivek Dutt, arrested in a corruption case, out of the team probing the coal blocks allocation scam.
The agency sought the permission as the apex court had earlier directed that no officer, who is part of Coalgate probe team, would be dropped or transferred without its permission.
In a three-page application, the agency gave details of the circumstances under which Dutt, the Chief Investigator of Coalgate, was arrested in a corruption case.
"It is humbly stated that CBI is permitted to remove the name of Dutt from the list of 33 officers associated with the inquiry and investigation in matter related to coal blocks allocation," CBI said in its application.
Dutt was arrested by CBI along with an Inspector Rajesh Chandra Karnatak on May 17 for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs seven lakh from a person to settle his land dispute.
A trial court on May 18 remanded Dutt, Karnatak, alleged middleman Rajesh Pachisia and businessman Dinesh Chand Gupta in CBI custody for three days.
CBI said Dinesh had a land dispute and a cheating case was registered against him at Amar Colony police station here and Dutt used to pressurize the Delhi Police officials, who were investigating the cheating case, to quash the FIR and for this he had demanded Rs 15 lakh from Dinesh.
Taking exception to transfer of an investigating officer in Coalgate, the apex court had on May 8 directed the Centre and the CBI to take immediate steps to repatriate him and said that none of 33 officials be changed without its permission.
The court had passed the order on a PIL filed by advocate M L Sharma and others seeking setting up of Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket