CBI arrests senior IPS officer in graft case
New Delhi: Senior IPS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, Pramod Kumar, was on Wednesday arrested for allegedly entering into a criminal conspiracy to get a bribe of nearly Rs 10 crore from a private firm accused of duping general public of Rs 829 crore.
46-year-old Kumar, a 1989-batch IPS officer, was arrested by the CBI in national capital from his apartment in South Delhi and produced before a judge here who sent him to a transit remand. He would be produced before a designated court in Chennai tomorrow.
The accused officer has been on run for many months. His anticipatory bail plea was rejected by the Madras High Court on April 20.
The case was initially cracked by the Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu Police when they arrested an inspector who had allegedly carried the bribe money for Kumar.
The case was handed over to CBI on the orders of Madras High Court after which agency filed two cases. The first case was against directors of Pazee Forex K Mohanraj, Kathiravan and A Kamalavalli for allegedly cheating investors Rs 829 crore of promised returns and dividends.
They have been charged under IPC sections related to criminal conspiracy, cheating, provisions of The Prize Chits And Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act, 1978 and the Tamil Nadu Protection of Interests of Depositors Act, 1997.
The second case arose after Kamalavalli allegedly went missing on December 8, 2009 alleging harassment by the police, CBI sources said.
The probe revealed that Pramod Kumar the then Inspector General West Zone had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore from the accused directors of the company through the Investigating officer who is claimed to be handpicked by him, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation