CBI arrests senior IPS officer in graft case
New Delhi: Senior IPS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, Pramod Kumar, was on Wednesday arrested for allegedly entering into a criminal conspiracy to get a bribe of nearly Rs 10 crore from a private firm accused of duping general public of Rs 829 crore.
46-year-old Kumar, a 1989-batch IPS officer, was arrested by the CBI in national capital from his apartment in South Delhi and produced before a judge here who sent him to a transit remand. He would be produced before a designated court in Chennai tomorrow.
The accused officer has been on run for many months. His anticipatory bail plea was rejected by the Madras High Court on April 20.
The case was initially cracked by the Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu Police when they arrested an inspector who had allegedly carried the bribe money for Kumar.
The case was handed over to CBI on the orders of Madras High Court after which agency filed two cases. The first case was against directors of Pazee Forex K Mohanraj, Kathiravan and A Kamalavalli for allegedly cheating investors Rs 829 crore of promised returns and dividends.
They have been charged under IPC sections related to criminal conspiracy, cheating, provisions of The Prize Chits And Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act, 1978 and the Tamil Nadu Protection of Interests of Depositors Act, 1997.
The second case arose after Kamalavalli allegedly went missing on December 8, 2009 alleging harassment by the police, CBI sources said.
The probe revealed that Pramod Kumar the then Inspector General West Zone had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore from the accused directors of the company through the Investigating officer who is claimed to be handpicked by him, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why