CBI asked to have a relook at Aarushi murder case
Bangalore: In the wake of "public sentiment" in the Aarushi Talwar murder case, the Law Ministry has asked the CBI to have a fresh look at the closure report in the teenager`s death probe, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said on Sunday.
"CBI is an independent and autonomous organisation. We cannot give directions to it. In the wake of public sentiment in the Aarushi murder case, we called for a meeting of the CBI officials and have asked them to have a relook at the closure report they have submitted on the matter," he told reporters here.
CBI had on December 29 filed a closure report in the case before a court on the grounds there was no available evidence at the crime scene to pursue the probe, meeting a
dead-end in the case that shook the country over two years back.
Moily had lamented that the CBI failed to "properly investigate" the case and had said he would take a "serious" look into "how such a lapse" took place.
To a question on the Opposition threatening to boycott the coming budget session, if their demand for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum scam
was not met, Moily termed the warning as "irresponsible statements".
"A CBI inquiry has already been conducted and a PAC (Parliamentary Affairs Committee) probe is on. If beyond this they feel the necessity of subjecting this (scam) to JPC probe, they have to substantiate it, discuss and debate it in Parliament. Their attitude (of threatening to boycott the budget session) only reveals their breach of duty," Moily said on the sidelines of a function at the Vivesvaraya College of Engineering here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price