CBI asked to have a relook at Aarushi murder case
Bangalore: In the wake of "public sentiment" in the Aarushi Talwar murder case, the Law Ministry has asked the CBI to have a fresh look at the closure report in the teenager`s death probe, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said on Sunday.
"CBI is an independent and autonomous organisation. We cannot give directions to it. In the wake of public sentiment in the Aarushi murder case, we called for a meeting of the CBI officials and have asked them to have a relook at the closure report they have submitted on the matter," he told reporters here.
CBI had on December 29 filed a closure report in the case before a court on the grounds there was no available evidence at the crime scene to pursue the probe, meeting a
dead-end in the case that shook the country over two years back.
Moily had lamented that the CBI failed to "properly investigate" the case and had said he would take a "serious" look into "how such a lapse" took place.
To a question on the Opposition threatening to boycott the coming budget session, if their demand for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum scam
was not met, Moily termed the warning as "irresponsible statements".
"A CBI inquiry has already been conducted and a PAC (Parliamentary Affairs Committee) probe is on. If beyond this they feel the necessity of subjecting this (scam) to JPC probe, they have to substantiate it, discuss and debate it in Parliament. Their attitude (of threatening to boycott the budget session) only reveals their breach of duty," Moily said on the sidelines of a function at the Vivesvaraya College of Engineering here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory