CBI asks Ramdev`s aide Balkrishna to appear Friday
Dehra Dun: Yoga guru Ramdev`s aide Balkrishna on Thursday sought 20 days time to appear before the CBI for questioning in a case under the Passport Act, claiming he has applied for a UK visa and his travel document is with that mission.
The agency, however, rejected his plea and asked him to appear without the passport tomorrow for questioning, CBI sources said.
The CBI had asked him to present himself for questioning today but sources in the agency said Balkrishna sent a fax in the morning, saying his passport is with the
British High Commission for visa purposes and a reply from there was expected after about 20 days.
In his fax, Balkrishna said he was also consulting Supreme Court lawyer Ram Jethmalani and pleaded that any other date after 20 days may be given to him.
He said he came to know about the CBI notice, which was pasted on the ashram gate, yesterday.
The CBI has rejected his plea and asked him to appear without his passport tomorrow, they said.
Meanwhile, sources said Balkrishna is likely to move to Uttarakhand High Court to seek anticipatory bail.
The CBI has earlier issued a look-out notice against Balkrishna after registering a case against him under section 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC for procuring fake degree and for violating section 12 of the Indian Passport Act (knowingly furnishing false documents for getting passport).
The agency had also approached the External Affairs Ministry seeking revocation of Balkrishna`s passport as the educational degrees submitted by him were allegedly found to be fake, the sources said.
A missing persons report was lodged in Kankhal police station in Haridwar by Balakrishna`s bodyguard Jayendra Singh Aswal on Tuesday after his whereabouts became unclear.
Balkrishna`s two degrees `Purv Madhyma`, a high school degree issued in 1991, and `Shastri`, a Sanskrit degree in 1996, don`t figure in the University`s records, Registrar of Sampurna Nand Sanskrit University, which issued the degrees, Rajnish Shukla had said.
He said the CBI had matched records which showed that the enrolment numbers mentioned in the fudged documents belong to a different student.
The documents show Krishna Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya, an affiliate of the University, had issued the certificates which have been declared fake by the vice-chancellor of the University.
The CBI had taken all the documents from the Bareilly passport office after the agency registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) to probe whether Balkrishna had acquired the travel documents using forged documents.
The charges have been denied by Ramdev`s Patanjali Yogpeeth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack