CBI autonomy: Govt files affidavit, 3-member collegium to appoint director
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday filed an affidavit on the autonomy of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the Supreme Court.
Here are the main points according to the affidavit:
- CBI director will be appointed by a collegium comprising Prime Minister, Leader of Opposition and the Chief Justice of India.
- The CBI director can be removed only after the orders of the President.
- Accountability commission will be set up by the government to entertain queries and complaints and enquire into allegations of corruption involving the CBI director.
- The CBI director will have a term of not less than two years.
- The proposed collegium shall recommend an IPS officer to be the CBI director on the basis of seniority, integrity and experience in the investigation of anti-corruption and criminal cases.
The final hearing in this case is on August 10.
The affidavit that was submitted by the government was earlier cleared by a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
The GoM was constituted following the orders of the apex court. The Centre was given time till July 3 to work on giving greater autonomy to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy