CBI autonomy: Govt files affidavit, 3-member collegium to appoint director
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday filed an affidavit on the autonomy of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the Supreme Court.
Here are the main points according to the affidavit:
- CBI director will be appointed by a collegium comprising Prime Minister, Leader of Opposition and the Chief Justice of India.
- The CBI director can be removed only after the orders of the President.
- Accountability commission will be set up by the government to entertain queries and complaints and enquire into allegations of corruption involving the CBI director.
- The CBI director will have a term of not less than two years.
- The proposed collegium shall recommend an IPS officer to be the CBI director on the basis of seniority, integrity and experience in the investigation of anti-corruption and criminal cases.
The final hearing in this case is on August 10.
The affidavit that was submitted by the government was earlier cleared by a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
The GoM was constituted following the orders of the apex court. The Centre was given time till July 3 to work on giving greater autonomy to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray