CBI awaits sanction to prosecute multi-crore scams accused
New Delhi: The CBI is awaiting sanction for prosecution of 36 high-ranking officials, whose names figure in alleged corruption cases including Hyderabad`s Emaar MGF land deal and NRHM scam, for over four months.
As per the norms, sanction for prosecution has to be decided within four months time of the CBI seeking such a permission.
Of the total of 20 graft cases involving 36 officials, the highest number of eight requests are pending in Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, which acts as nodal authority to coordinate with other departments to speed up sanction for prosecution, said a latest data by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), which supervises CBI probe in corruption cases.
Two each such cases are pending in Bank of India and Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) and one each in State Bank of India, UCO Bank, Canara Bank, United India Insurance Company Ltd, Ministry of Shipping, Ministry of Housing Urban & Poverty Alleviation, Urban Development Ministry and Delhi Jal Board, it said.
The CVC has already sent a reminder to the departments concerned citing a Supreme Court verdict on granting sanction for prosecution of government officials charged with corruption within a maximum of four months` time, an official said.
Citing the apex court`s order, the CVC has said, "Time limit of three months for grant of sanction for prosecution must be strictly adhered to. However, additional time of one month may be allowed where consultation is required with the Attorney General or any other law officer in the AG`s office."
A list carrying names and designations of the officials allegedly involved in corruption cases has been put up on the CVC`s website.
Any investigating agency has to seek prior permission from the central government before launching prosecution against officers in the rank of Joint Secretary and above.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!