CBI begins inquiry into Ashok Khemka`s complaint on seed supply
New Delhi: The CBI has started a preliminary enquiry on a complaint by whistleblower IAS Ashok Khemka alleging irregularities in the supply of wheat seeds to Haryana Seed Development Corporation (HSDC) by NAFED and NCCF.
Khemka, who was posted as managing director of HSDC between July 18, 2012 to March 4, 2013, had given a report to the CBI seeking registration of a case against officials of National Cooperative Consumers` Federation (NCCF) and National Agriculture Cooperative Marketing Federation (NAFED) for selling seeds at inflated prices to HSDC.
"CBI has registered a preliminary enquiry to probe into the alleged irregularities in the purchase of wheat seeds in HSDC on the complaint of the then MD of HSDC. The allegations are that NCCF and NAFED supplied seeds at higher rates to HSDC causing loss to the exchequer," CBI spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said in a statement.
It is alleged that HSDC wanted to purchase nearly 10,000 tonnes of wheat seeds from private suppliers in case cooperative agencies--NCCF and NAFED--did not have enough stocks with them.
Despite the non-availability of seeds, both the cooperative agencies allegedly offered to supply the seeds after which HSDC did not approach private suppliers.
These societies allegedly sourced untreated wheat seeds from middlemen who have got it from private companies and supplied them to HSDC at over Rs 2,000 per quintal whereas if the Corporation had purchased directly from private players it would have cost it Rs 1,600 per quintal, Khemka, a 1991-batch IAS officer, had alleged.
The purchase of 10,000 tonnes of seeds, which was to be supplied to farmers on subsidised rates under Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana, at inflated prices resulted in loss of Rs 5 crore to the exchequer, Khemka`s complaint had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference