CBI begins probe in coal blocks allocation since 1993
New Delhi: The CBI on Thursday started probe against 24 companies and public officials in connection with alleged irregularities in coal blocks allocation between 1993 and 2004, including during the NDA regime.
Agency sources said a preliminary inquiry has been registered after Central Vigilance Commission referred the complaints from Coal Minister Shri Prakash Jaiswal and seven Congress Members of Parliament seeking CBI probe in allocation of coal blocks during NDA rule as well.
The allocation of coal blocks to private companies for captive use started in 1993 when Coal Mines (Nationalisation) Act, 1973 was amended with the objective of attracting private investments in specified end uses such as power, cement and steel because of growing economy.
Jaiswal along with seven parliamentarians has sought probe since 1993 and submitted a list of 24 beneficiaries companies, some of which have got captive coal blocks as part of joint ventures with state government, which would be under probe of the agency, they said.
The sources said the agency would now approach the Coal Ministry and state governments seeking records related to allocation of coal blocks to these companies.
"Investigation must cover what system they (state governments) adopted to ensure transparent allocation, and what criteria and selected guidelines were adopted and followed by state government, what method of due-diligence were employed for the same," the MPs wrote in the letter apprehending many cases of malpractices during the NDA rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Pak looks for lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Copa America Final: Messi `the best player of all time`, believes Chile manager Juan Antonio Pizzi
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 604—Tanushree plans a conspiracy to denigrate Pragya
- Micromax launches Unite 4, Unite 4 pro smartphones
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical