CBI busts smuggling ring involving IRS officers
New Delhi: The CBI on Wednesday claimed to have
busted an illegal imported goods gang allegedly run by two
Indian Revenue Service officers posted at Thiruvananthapuram
in connivance with other officials who used to sell these
material out in open market as unclaimed goods.
IRS Joint Commissioner Sofia M Joy, Assistant Commissioner
R S Rosechandran, superintendents - Shyam Sunder, M P Hari,
Suresh, Michael, Central Excise inspector Shiv Kumar Singh and
clearing agent Sugandhan were accused in illegal import of
various items for sale in Kerala in the cover of unaccompanied
baggage, CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said here.
This flourishing business got busted when CBI sleuths
intercepted four mini vans full of "unclaimed" baggage being
taken out of Air Cargo Complex for sale in the open market of
Kerala. These goods were allegedly cleared by the customs
officials, she said.
"During verification, the passport holders in whose names
the said goods were cleared disowned the ownership of the
materials. However, they admitted that they have handed over
their passports to different clearing agents, on their
request, for importing goods from abroad in the guise of
unaccompanied baggage using their passports," Mishra said.
The agency conducted searches at seven location which
resulted in recovery of incriminating documents showing
payments made to public servants by the clearing agents," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city