CBI busts smuggling ring involving IRS officers
New Delhi: The CBI on Wednesday claimed to have
busted an illegal imported goods gang allegedly run by two
Indian Revenue Service officers posted at Thiruvananthapuram
in connivance with other officials who used to sell these
material out in open market as unclaimed goods.
IRS Joint Commissioner Sofia M Joy, Assistant Commissioner
R S Rosechandran, superintendents - Shyam Sunder, M P Hari,
Suresh, Michael, Central Excise inspector Shiv Kumar Singh and
clearing agent Sugandhan were accused in illegal import of
various items for sale in Kerala in the cover of unaccompanied
baggage, CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said here.
This flourishing business got busted when CBI sleuths
intercepted four mini vans full of "unclaimed" baggage being
taken out of Air Cargo Complex for sale in the open market of
Kerala. These goods were allegedly cleared by the customs
officials, she said.
"During verification, the passport holders in whose names
the said goods were cleared disowned the ownership of the
materials. However, they admitted that they have handed over
their passports to different clearing agents, on their
request, for importing goods from abroad in the guise of
unaccompanied baggage using their passports," Mishra said.
The agency conducted searches at seven location which
resulted in recovery of incriminating documents showing
payments made to public servants by the clearing agents," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Deepika Padukone enters 'world`s highest-paid actresses' list
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding