CBI can investigate DA case against Mayawati: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today said CBI is free to investigate the disproprotionate assets case against former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati that could spell fresh trouble for her.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and Dipak Misra, who had quashed the proceedings against her on July 6 last year, said that it had passed the earlier order without going into the merit of DA case against her.
It said the FIR in the DA case was quashed because the agency proceeded against her without properly understanding its orders which were confined to Taj Corridor case. It clarified that the judgement has not taken away CBI`s power to proceed against her in a separate DA case.
"CBI can investigate the disproportionate assets case against her", the bench said adding that it would pass an order clarifying the earlier judgement.
"CBI`s power to probe the case against Mayawati has not been taken away by us," the bench said while reserving its order on a review petition filed against its July 6 verdict.
It also said that the court will take note of CBI findings on the assets of Mayawati.
Senior advocate S C Mishra, appearing for Mayawati, opposed the review plea and said that judgement was clear and there was no need for any clarification.
"No clarification is required as CBI can go ahead with the probe. This review plea is like appeal which should not be entertained," Mishra said.
The CBI, however, was reluctant to take a stand on the issue and the bench asked Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran thrice on what its stand
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader