`CBI can no longer be Department of Dirty Tricks, govt`s hatchet`
New Delhi: The CBI was in for some harsh words on Tuesday when former Governor of West Bengal Gopalkrishna Gandhi said the central probe agency had gained notoriety as "as government`s hatchet" and "Department of Dirty Tricks" which was clothed in "opacity" with perfume of "mystery".
Delivering 15th DP Kohli Memorial Lecture today, Gandhi, who was CBI`s guest speaker, minced no words while batting for bringing the agency within the purview of Right to Information Act (RTI) and making it "spectacularly" and not "sensationally" autonomous.
"It is seen as government`s hatchet, rather than honesty`s ally. It is often called DDT -- meaning not the dichloro diphenyl trichloroethane, the colourless, tasteless, odourless insecticide it should be, but the Department of Dirty Trick"," he said at the function where the entire CBI rank and file led by its Director Ranjit Sinha were present.
Referring to the issue of corruption, 69-year-old Gandhi, who is at present Chairman of Indian Institute of Advance Studies (IIAS), said CBI has a "mixed" image, not all of which was "flattering", and it will have to "change". He said the "RTI-trained" public will expect, prod and make the CBI an "instrument of change".
"The CBI is clothed in opacity, then ornamented by secrecy and finally perfumed by mystery." Gandhi pointed out that for sometime the CBI had come under RTI purview and during that period "heavens did not fall" but the opacity, secrecy and mystery made it move out of the Act.
"This is a great pity. The CBI is about investigations into corruption and certain crimes. It is not security or intelligence agency," he said while delivering a lecture on "Eclipse at Noon: Shadows over India`s Conscience".
The lecture marked the formal closing of the year long golden jubilee celebration of CBI.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Find out: What Sunrisers Hyderabad's Yuvraj Singh is doing before his first IPL 9 game
- Sleeping trouble? Now, sleep like a baby with Banana tea!
- Pakistan is raising a security force to protect Chinese nationals
- Govt targets Rs 64,580 cr revenue in FY17 from spectrum sale
- Seven Indian shuttlers set to qualify for Rio Olympics