`CBI can no longer be Department of Dirty Tricks, govt`s hatchet`
New Delhi: The CBI was in for some harsh words on Tuesday when former Governor of West Bengal Gopalkrishna Gandhi said the central probe agency had gained notoriety as "as government`s hatchet" and "Department of Dirty Tricks" which was clothed in "opacity" with perfume of "mystery".
Delivering 15th DP Kohli Memorial Lecture today, Gandhi, who was CBI`s guest speaker, minced no words while batting for bringing the agency within the purview of Right to Information Act (RTI) and making it "spectacularly" and not "sensationally" autonomous.
"It is seen as government`s hatchet, rather than honesty`s ally. It is often called DDT -- meaning not the dichloro diphenyl trichloroethane, the colourless, tasteless, odourless insecticide it should be, but the Department of Dirty Trick"," he said at the function where the entire CBI rank and file led by its Director Ranjit Sinha were present.
Referring to the issue of corruption, 69-year-old Gandhi, who is at present Chairman of Indian Institute of Advance Studies (IIAS), said CBI has a "mixed" image, not all of which was "flattering", and it will have to "change". He said the "RTI-trained" public will expect, prod and make the CBI an "instrument of change".
"The CBI is clothed in opacity, then ornamented by secrecy and finally perfumed by mystery." Gandhi pointed out that for sometime the CBI had come under RTI purview and during that period "heavens did not fall" but the opacity, secrecy and mystery made it move out of the Act.
"This is a great pity. The CBI is about investigations into corruption and certain crimes. It is not security or intelligence agency," he said while delivering a lecture on "Eclipse at Noon: Shadows over India`s Conscience".
The lecture marked the formal closing of the year long golden jubilee celebration of CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery