CBI cites HC stay in Mayawati, Mulayam case: CIC adjourns
New Delhi: The CIC on Friday adjourned hearing of a case related to disclosure of corruption charges against Mayawati, Mulayam Singh, Lalu Yadav and Shibu Soren, till Delhi High Court vacates its stay in a similar matter.
Full Bench of the Central Information Commission had called the hearing on the plea of activist Subhash Agrawal who sought disclosure of information related to corruption cases against the four leaders which was denied by CBI.
Agrawal wanted complete details of corruption cases against the leaders and whether there was a change in CBI`s position during the probe.
During the hearing, the agency cited a stay of November 30 by Delhi High Court in a case of activist CJ Karira, where Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda Mishra had ordered the agency to disclose the information even though it was placed in the category of exempted organisations.
The high court had given next date of hearing on April 13. The Commission adjourned the matter till a decision from the high court is given on the matter which would mean that till stay is vacated, no information on corruption cases against these leaders can be accessed from the CBI under the transparency law.
In Karira`s case, CBI had claimed that since it has been exempted from RTI Act it cannot provide the information. Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda Mishra had held that even though the agency was brought under exempted category, in the cases of allegation of corruption the information can be provided if it does not attract other exemption clauses.
CBI was included in the second schedule of the Section 24 of the RTI Act which allows national and security organisations of the country listed under it from making any disclosures under the transparency.
However, information pertaining allegations of corruption and human rights violations do not come under the exemption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note