CBI claims to have detected recruitment scam in IITM, Pune
New Delhi: The CBI has claimed to have detected a recruitment scam in prestigious Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology in Pune, registered a case against its Advisor and carried out searches at her residence during which documents related to deposits of over Rs one crore were recovered.
The CBI has registered a case against Chabi Bardhan, the then Private Secretary to the Director and now working as Advisor at the Institute, Sanjay Hasnale, in-charge of the transport cell and Amit Kumar, upper division clerk at the Institute.
SMS seeking reaction of Bardhan remained unanswered. Public Relations Officer of IITM, HP Borgaonkar, also did not respond to e-mail seeking his reaction.
The agency carried out searches at the officie and residential premises of the three persons during which three bank accounts having fixed deposite reciepts of Rs 1.16 crores were recovered from the premises of Bardhan, CBI sources said.
Central Bureau Of Investigation has registered a case against the accused under IPC sections related to criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery and provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act among other, agency spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said here today.
"It is alleged the accused persons had indulged in corrupt practices relating to recruitment of personnel for different posts in IITM during 2010-2014 and obtained pecuniary benefit from ineligible candidates who were appointed in the IITM," she said.
The spokesperson said documents regarding alleged employment of candidate on forged certificate and some other ineligible candidates, two hard discs of computer and electronic data purportedly showing leakage of questions and answers of the examination conducted in the year 2014 for the post of Assistant Manager in IITM were seized.
Other documents recovered during the searches included diploma certificates of Fitter and Turner, suspected to be forged, and sale deeds of two immovable properties have been recovered from other accused, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says