CBI conducts investigation at Sadiq Batcha`s house
Chennai: A day after CBI registered a case into the death of Sadiq Batcha, a close aide of former telecom minister A Raja, arrested in connection with the 2G scam, the agency on Thursday conducted an investigation at the deceased`s house.
A team of officials conducted the investigation at Batcha`s house, where he was found hanging on March 16, official sources said.
The agency started its investigation under section 174 of the CrPC which allows an investigating agency to probe cases where death has been caused by unnatural reasons.
CBI had registered a case and begun a probe into the death of Batcha, who had been under the scanner of both the agency and Enforcement Directorate for his alleged role in the multi-crore spectrum allocation scam.
The CBI`s action comes after the Supreme Court`s direction to the government on Monday to issue within three days a notification for handing over the investigations to the agency after it was alleged that the Centre was "sitting over" the request for the last fortnight.
38-year-old Batcha, who was questioned by CBI in connection with the 2G scam, was found dead at his home in south Chennai.
His wife had claimed he committed suicide as he was unable to cope with the pressure of the probe.
CBI and ED had conducted searches at his official and residential premises in December. He had been called for questioning four times since then.
Batcha was the managing director of Greenhouse Promoters, which CBI and ED suspected to be a front for Raja.
CBI in its chargesheet filed on April 2 had alleged that the money connected with the 2G scam had travelled through Batcha`s company to Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd in which Tamil Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi`s wife Dayaluammal was one of the owners.
The agency had said Rs 200 crore connected with 2G scam travelled from a partnership firm of Shahid Usman Balwa, an accused in the case, to Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd.
Karunanidhi`s daughter and DMK MP Kanimozhi, Dayaluammal and Sharad Kumar, managing director of Kalaignar TV, have 20, 60 and 20 per cent shares in the channel respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks