CBI conducts searches at arrested I-T officials` residences
Mumbai: Officials of the Central Bureau of
Investigation (CBI) and the Income Tax department have
conducted searches at the residences of three I-T officials
and two others, arrested in connection with tax refund scam
and their bank accounts have been frozen.
"Our squad and the I-T Department`s investigating team
have conducted searches at the residences of the accused in
the city`s suburbs. We have seized some documents that need to
be examined. The accused`s bank accounts have also been
frozen," said K Babu, Deputy Superintendent of Police (CBI).
The CBI has arrested conman Dilip Vyas on February 17 and
I-T inspector Pramod Prabhakar, senior tax assistant Rajesh
Pillai, I-T employee Raju Nagpure and television artiste Manoj
Sangtiyani yesterday on charges of duping the Department to
the tune of Rs three crore.
The accused had cheated the Department by filing fake I-T
returns of 23 PAN card holders and illegally transferring
refunds in their own accounts.
The CBI officials said Vyas used to apply various tactics
to get the PAN card and bank details of people.
Vyas, who had posed as Chartered Accountant, used to
approach middle and lower middle class people, who were in
need of PAN cards.
He had helped many getting new PAN cards and also
collected their bank and other personnel details that were
subsequently used for the fraudulent practices, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof