CBI conducts searches at arrested I-T officials` residences
Mumbai: Officials of the Central Bureau of
Investigation (CBI) and the Income Tax department have
conducted searches at the residences of three I-T officials
and two others, arrested in connection with tax refund scam
and their bank accounts have been frozen.
"Our squad and the I-T Department`s investigating team
have conducted searches at the residences of the accused in
the city`s suburbs. We have seized some documents that need to
be examined. The accused`s bank accounts have also been
frozen," said K Babu, Deputy Superintendent of Police (CBI).
The CBI has arrested conman Dilip Vyas on February 17 and
I-T inspector Pramod Prabhakar, senior tax assistant Rajesh
Pillai, I-T employee Raju Nagpure and television artiste Manoj
Sangtiyani yesterday on charges of duping the Department to
the tune of Rs three crore.
The accused had cheated the Department by filing fake I-T
returns of 23 PAN card holders and illegally transferring
refunds in their own accounts.
The CBI officials said Vyas used to apply various tactics
to get the PAN card and bank details of people.
Vyas, who had posed as Chartered Accountant, used to
approach middle and lower middle class people, who were in
need of PAN cards.
He had helped many getting new PAN cards and also
collected their bank and other personnel details that were
subsequently used for the fraudulent practices, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded