CBI court convicts SC lawyer for fraud, bribery
Shillong: A Supreme Court lawyer, who
forged bills and later tried to bribe CBI officials, was today
sentenced to five years in jail by a special CBI court here.
Lawyer Halida Khatun was sentenced to five years
imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 by CBI special
Judge S R Sen for trying to bribe a CBI official with Rs 1
lakh in 2002 in lieu of "documentary evidences" against her,
senior special counsel for CBI Tsering Yangi B said.
In 1996, then director of Indian Council of
Agricultural Research (ICAR) had filed a case against Khatun
for "forging bills" and giving "inflationary bills" with
regard to the lawyer`s fees. The forged bills submitted to
ICAR amounted to Rs 8.5 lakh.
CBI had registered cases under sections 420, 468 and
471 of the IPC against her.
"In 2002, she tried to bribe a CBI official with Rs 1
lakh in exchange of the documentary evidences against her, but
the central investigating agency laid a trap and caught her
red-handed on April 23 that year," the CBI counsel said.
For the bribery case, Khatun was booked under 201 of
the IPC and Section 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act
For the other offences against her, Khatun was awarded
jail terms of 21 months, 45 months, six months and a fine of
Rs 5,000. "These will run concurrently with the other
punishment," the counsel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof