CBI did not fairly probe 2G case, intimidated witnesses: A Raja
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja on Tuesday claimed in a Delhi court that CBI investigating officer (IO) in the 2G spectrum scam had not fairly investigated the case and had "intimidated" certain witnesses to depose as per the agency`s wishes.
However, Raja`s claims were denied by the CBI`s Deputy Superintendent of Police Rajesh Chahal, who was deposing as a prosecution witness in the case.
"It is wrong to suggest that I have not fairly investigated the case. It is wrong to suggest that I have deliberately withheld material evidence which had come in favour of accused persons," Chahal told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
During his cross examination by senior advocate Ramesh Gupta, who appeared for Raja, Chahal refuted the suggestions of the former telecom minister that he along with senior officers of CBI had made a false case against the accused persons.
"It is further wrong to suggest that I had obeyed orders which were not even legal of my superior officers and assisted them in making a false case against the accused.
"It is wrong to suggest that on the directions of my superior officers I intimidated certain witnesses and created a situation in which witnesses were forced to make involuntary statement," Chahal, whose recording of evidence would continue tomorrow, said.
He also denied Raja`s suggestion that during the recording of statements of certain witnesses in the court, he continued to put pressure on them till they deposed as per the "wishes" of CBI.
The official told the court that he had arrested Raja in connection with the case "as per the decision of the senior officers of CBI."
Raja, along with others, including DMK MP Kanimozhi, are facing trial for their alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured