CBI Director`s post not be restricted to IPS: House panel
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel on Tuesday said
the post of CBI Director should not be limited to officers
belonging to Indian Police Service only and it should be open
to the agency`s own officers too.
The Parliamentary standing committee on personnel, public
grievances, Law and Justice said the post should be open to
CBI cadre officers also.
In its earlier report on the working of Central Bureau of
Investigation, the Committee had said while appointing the
Director, CBI, preference should be given to the person with
prescribed qualifications and who has experience of working in
In today`s report, on the action taken replies of the
Ministry, the Committee, chaired by Jayanthi Natrajan said,
"The Committee feels that the post of Director, CBI, should
not be limited to officers belonging to the IPS only."
The Ministry had earlier said in its reply the
appointment of CBI Director is done under the provisions of
Section 26 of the CVC Act, 2003, which says in one of the
clauses that the person should be chosen from amongst officers
belonging to the IPS.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living