CBI Director`s post not be restricted to IPS: House panel
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel on Tuesday said
the post of CBI Director should not be limited to officers
belonging to Indian Police Service only and it should be open
to the agency`s own officers too.
The Parliamentary standing committee on personnel, public
grievances, Law and Justice said the post should be open to
CBI cadre officers also.
In its earlier report on the working of Central Bureau of
Investigation, the Committee had said while appointing the
Director, CBI, preference should be given to the person with
prescribed qualifications and who has experience of working in
In today`s report, on the action taken replies of the
Ministry, the Committee, chaired by Jayanthi Natrajan said,
"The Committee feels that the post of Director, CBI, should
not be limited to officers belonging to the IPS only."
The Ministry had earlier said in its reply the
appointment of CBI Director is done under the provisions of
Section 26 of the CVC Act, 2003, which says in one of the
clauses that the person should be chosen from amongst officers
belonging to the IPS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai