CBI files fresh status report in 2G scam
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday filed in court its fresh status report on the allotment of 2G spectrum and said the matter was under investigation.
The report, filed in the court of CBI special judge Pradeep Chaddha, was in response to a private complaint by Janata Dal leader Subramanian Swamy. The judge has fixed March 17 for proceedings in the case.
The report stated that Swamy has already raised a similar issue pertaining to the "national security aspect" before the Supreme Court, and the matter was "under investigation".
Swamy had named Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and DMK chief M. Karunanidhi as a co-accused along with former communications minister A. Raja in the 2G spectrum scam in his petition.
Swamy was not present before the court as he was busy in the apex court where the case is being heard.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has estimated that the 2G scam caused a presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer and has submitted a detailed report in the scam.
Raja, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura and Raja`s former personal secretary R.K. Chandolia were arrested Feb 2, and Shahid Balwa of DB Realty on Feb 18 for their suspected role in the allocation of airwaves for second generation (2G) phone services, billed as one of the country`s biggest corruption scandals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter