CBI gets phone transcripts from Italy in VVIP chopper scam
New Delhi: CBI has received transcripts of telephone conversations between Italian middlemen and officials of a Defence firm, in which the Italy government has 30 per cent stake, and others in connection with the VVIP helicopter scam.
The transcripts of the telephone calls were handed over to the Defence Ministry, which has been made as an "affected party" by the Italian prosecutors, official sources said here today. They have since been given to the CBI.
The transcripts were in Italian language and the CBI was busy translating the same so that a follow up action could be taken, the sources said.
The transcripts are related to phone conversations of alleged middlemen Haschke Guido and Gerosa Carlo which were tapped by Italian authorities and have been quoted in their preliminary enquiry report.
According to Italian rules, all documents durign any probe have to be shared with the affected parties.
The supply of 12 VVIP Helicopters from AgustaWestland had come under scanner after Italian authorities alleged that the bribe money was given by the company to clinch the deal.
The Italian prosecutor, who carried out the preliminary enquiry, alleged that CEO of Finmeccanica, parent company of UK Based AgustaWestland, had used services of middlemen to distribute bribes in India.
It was not immediately known whether the transcipts gave any clues to the involvement of alleged Indian middlemen.
CBI which carried out probe in India had named 13
individuals including the former Indian Air Force Chief S P Tyagi and European middlemen Carlo Gerosa, Christian Michel and Guido Haschke in the FIR as accused, in connection with the alleged bribe payment.
CBI has alleged that during his tenure as Air Chief, Tyagi and "with his approval" the Air Force "conceded to reduce the service ceiling for VVIP helicopters from 6,000 meters to 4,500 meters as mandatory to which it was opposing vehemently on the grounds of security constraints and other related reasons".
According to the FIR, "Haschke Guido and Gerosa Carlo (middlemen) managed to send Euro 5.6 million through Mohali- based IDS Infotech and Chandigarh-based Aeromatrix Info Solutions Private Limited to India and kept the remaining amount out of about Euro 24.30 million received from AgustaWestland with themselves in the account of IDS Tunisia".
The CBI will also look for some more evidence into alleged remittances to Tyagi brothers and softening of IAF`s stand on service ceiling of the helicopter in the transcript, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared