CBI gives affidavit on its readiness to probe chit-fund scam
Kolkata: CBI on Tuesday affirmed an affidavit before Calcutta High Court stating it has no objection if directed to probe the multi-crore rupees chit-fund scam.
Giving the affidavit in connection with PILs praying for CBI probe into the scam spread across West Bengal and some neighbouring states, the central investigating agency stated that if the court directed it to investigate the case it had no objection.
CBI, however, prayed that the court directs West Bengal government to provide manpower and other logistic support if required by it to investigate the case.
Four petitions were moved before a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi seeking CBI probe into the chit-fund scam.
West Bengal government has opposed a CBI probe into the scam, claiming that the state investigating agency was doing a fine job and has already arrested the chairman of Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen and some others in connection with the scam.
The scam came into the open following the closure of a number of media houses run by Saradha Group, one of the major players in the chit-fund business.
With lakhs of investors, mostly from the low income group having been duped, the state government ordered an investigation and the Bidhannagar Police started probing the issue.
Hearing of the petitions seeking CBI probe is scheduled to be held tomorrow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference