CBI gives affidavit on its readiness to probe chit-fund scam
Kolkata: CBI on Tuesday affirmed an affidavit before Calcutta High Court stating it has no objection if directed to probe the multi-crore rupees chit-fund scam.
Giving the affidavit in connection with PILs praying for CBI probe into the scam spread across West Bengal and some neighbouring states, the central investigating agency stated that if the court directed it to investigate the case it had no objection.
CBI, however, prayed that the court directs West Bengal government to provide manpower and other logistic support if required by it to investigate the case.
Four petitions were moved before a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi seeking CBI probe into the chit-fund scam.
West Bengal government has opposed a CBI probe into the scam, claiming that the state investigating agency was doing a fine job and has already arrested the chairman of Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen and some others in connection with the scam.
The scam came into the open following the closure of a number of media houses run by Saradha Group, one of the major players in the chit-fund business.
With lakhs of investors, mostly from the low income group having been duped, the state government ordered an investigation and the Bidhannagar Police started probing the issue.
Hearing of the petitions seeking CBI probe is scheduled to be held tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read