CBI has become `whipping boy` for people on its wrong side
New Delhi: CBI has become a "favourite whipping boy" of people on its wrong side and the detractors often change their stance on the agency when it suits their political motives, I&B minister Manish Tewari said on Friday.
"I think the Central Bureau of Investigation has unfortunately become the favourite whipping boy of everybody who is unfortunately on their wrong side," Tewari told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He said the people who "politicise" the CBI should take a fundamental call on what their stance is on the efficacy and relevance of the investigative agency.
"I think you need to make that leap of faith and conclusively determine once and for all whether you have faith in the CBI or you do not have faith in CBI," he said.
"Because you cannot have one standard when a CBI investigation suits your political objectives and another standard when it goes in a different direction altogether," the minister said.
Tewari was speaking at a function where the Department of Audio Visual Publicity released a calendar for the year 2013, which highlights schemes of the central government.
When asked to comment on the issue related to torture of Kargil martyr Captain Saurabh Kalia whose father has moved the Supreme Court seeking directions to the government to raise the issue at the International Court of Justice, he said, "His pursuit for justice (is one) with which the government empathises with."
"We do hope that Pakistan also realises the weight of public opinion in India and takes all the steps which are essential to bring the perpetrators to justice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days