CBI is at liberty to probe DA case against Mayawati: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday made it clear that the CBI has not been prohibited from probing the disproportionate assets case against BSP supremo Mayawati and issued notice to the Centre, CBI and former UP chief minister on a plea to review its verdict that quashed the DA case.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and Dipak Misra issued notice and made it clear that it would only clarify its July 6 verdict, quashing the DA case against Mayawati, on a review petition filed in the case.
"We issue notice to the Union of India, CBI and Mayawati only for this clarification," the bench said.
The court during the argument made it clear that the CBI "is at liberty to probe the DA case and they can approach the government for this."
"We never said that CBI has no power to investigate. It can do so, but has to get sanction from the state government," the bench said.
The bench further said its verdict quashing the DA case was not to protect anyone.
The review petition has been filed by Uttar Pradesh native Kamlesh Verma who was an intervener in the case filed by Mayawati in the apex court for quashing the DA case against her.
Seeking review of the apex court`s July 6 judgement, the petitioner has argued that the court had decided the case merely on technical grounds without appreciating the evidence collected by the CBI against Mayawati.
In a major relief to BSP supremo Mayawati, the Supreme Court had on July 6 quashed a nine-year-long disproportionate assets case against her and had pulled up the CBI for exceeding its jurisdiction by lodging an FIR against her without any direction from it.
The apex court had said the DA case against Mayawati was "unwarranted" and the agency proceeded against her without properly understanding its orders which were confined to Taj Corridor case relating to the release of Rs 17 crore by UP government allegedly without sanction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India