CBI is not `Congress bureau of investigation`: PM
New Delhi: The CBI is not the "Congress bureau of investigation", Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday, refuting the Bharatiya Janata Party`s allegations of conspiracy behind the arrest of its leader Amit Shah.
"CBI... is not Congress bureau of investigation. CBI is not a mouthpiece of the Congress," Manmohan Singh told reporters outside Parliament before the beginning of the Monsoon Session Monday.
He was answering questions on the opposition party`s allegation that the Congress-led central government was behind the arrest of former Gujarat minister Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh staged shootout case.
The Prime Minister stressed that the investigation into the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh killing was initiated by the Supreme Court and the central government had nothing to do with it.
He said, “Well, there is no truth in that (BJP charge). The
opposition knows it jolly well. This Sohrabuddin case is a
Supreme Court-directed investigation. The Central government
has no hand in it.”
"It has not tried to influence the investigation
process in any way. I repeat categorically in any way," he
Following the arrest of former Gujarat Minister Amit
Shah yesterday in the Soharabuddin case, BJP had accused the
CBI of working in a partisan manner by targeting Gujarat and
Madhya Pradesh ruled by it, and ignoring the Andhra Pradesh
angle in the fake encounter case as the Congress is in power
in that state.
"Sohrabuddin Sheikh was a terrorist from whose
premises in Indore AK-47s were recovered. He used to operate
an inter-state gang.
"Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat are under CBI radar but
the Andhra Pradesh angle (in the fake encounter case) is not
being investigated at all as Congress is in power there," BJP
chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad had said.
"Amit Shah has already resigned and will go through
the process of law. But BJP`s allegation of gross misuse of
CBI by the government is too well-known," Prasad had said.
The entire case against Shah is based upon sweeping
investigations by CBI without any legally sustainable
evidence. This motivated investigation would boomerang on the
Congress," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!