CBI may file case against former DGH VK Sibal
New Delhi: CBI is likely to register a
case against former Director General of Hydrocarbons VK Sibal
for allegedly favouring a US firm in carrying out speculative
seismic exploration during his tenure.
CBI sources claimed it has found sufficient evidence
against Sibal in alleged discrepancies in carrying out the
work and favouring leading private players and foreign
consultants involved in oil and gas field explorations.
The agency has registered Preliminary Enquiries on
November 26, 2009 to investigate different charges against
DGH, under the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, is
mandated to carry out speculative geophysical survey with any
company to upgrade the available data on hydrocarbons
potential in the country, with the purpose of attracting
domestic and international firms to explore and develop oil
and gas fields.
The CBI had sought statements from Sibal and carried out
a probe in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas as well.
The sources claimed even some of the documents pertaining to
the award of contract to the US firm were missing initially
but were traced after a prolonged probe.
"We have found a number of irregularities allegedly done
at the behest of Sibal during his tenure. We are verifying the
documents and considering to register a case," a CBI official
Sibal was the DGH between 2004 and 2009.
Central Vigilance Commission has also found alleged
discrepancies in different works carried out by Sibal who was
the Director General and recommended CBI probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight